K-6th Continuum for Digital Citizenship
(Every year starts with a creation/revision of a digital citizen pledge)
- How to treat the computer lab/computer with care and kindness
- How to memorize a password and don’t share it with others
- How to log out and shut down the computer or program
- Teacher models how to communicate online with software like Skype to bring in experts to teach subject matter.
- Type in very simple website addresses and search the simple name of the website to find it.
- Create images both online and by scanning them to the computer to learn copyright
- Use teacher selected websites that allow for free use of images
- Introduce how to search/research online. More teacher modeling. Introduce keyword searches not typing in the exact question
- Start learning how to evaluate websites
- Role-play how to prevent bulling both in person and cyberbullying
- Students to research online. Learn more about keywords that change the search results.
- Learn how to use other types of research online other then search engine. Use the online dictionary, thesauri, almanacs, atlas (or Google maps)
- Learn about internet spam, why it is there and what we can do to stop it
- Learn and discuss the different types of websites (gov, org, net, com, edu) and what it means to have this as part of an address
- Use agoogleaday to help with searching online
- Reference page of some kind required for all papers
- Teacher modeling of appropriate use of email for communication
- Learn how images can be altered digitally
- Cell phone etiquette
5th Social Networking, emailing editic
- Create school Google email address under our Google apps for education
- Teacher modeling of blogging (one class blog) with student input
- Start using Edmodo in the classroom
- Agree on one way to require students to cite material and continue to use it in 6th grade
- Start an emphasis on Cyberbullying. Use real examples and have students role-play how they could change the situation
- Introduce more advanced search engines like Google Scholar
- Continue to use Edmodo
- Allows students to start their own blogs and work on how to appropriately comment and post
- Allow for other ‘prosumer’ type of software to be used in class like Voicethread.
- Continue with cyberbullying and give them opportunities to show they can communicate online (like with Edmodo and blogging) without cyberbullying and harassment.